ABOUT SARA, THE ARTIST
I am a busy gal, working as a fine artist, illustrator, graphic/web designer and marketer… oh yeah, and mommy, wife, friend, daughter, drummer, and rock climber, mountain biker… phew!
I have been an artist my entire life and have been inspired by all of my family, especially my late grandmother, oil painter and former Associated Press courtroom artist, Rosalie Ritz. I went to the University of California, Santa Cruz, to surf… I mean to study, and got my Bachelor’s of Arts in Environmental Studies with an emphasis on science interpretation through art. During my time there, my drawings and watercolors were featured in magazines, catalog covers, greeting cards, event posters, t-shirts, park proposals, guided nature tours, and brochures.
After college, I moved to Truckee to rock climb with my husband. I taught myself acrylic techniques, volunteered for an art council, and started integrating science illustration into large paintings. This resulted in two large bodies of artwork called Discovery and Awareness that were featured in numerous shows and open studio tours in the area.
In the meantime, I was introduced to computer design, layout and ad design, and web design while at a few different jobs. Once people found out that I could help them with their business, people started asking if I could help them build a website, a logo, or help give them entrepreneurial advice.
Since then, my art has reflected this change showing movement, texture, depth, and emotion. I attribute a lot of this to my blossoming business in design where I view how people communicate, what visual elements engage and encourage action, and my adoration for creative innovation in technology.
Becoming a mom made me realize what matters and identify my feelings. Being a graphic/web designer and illustrator has me constantly looking for new colors, trends, patterns and thinking about the way people see things. Combining these influences has me creating both art and design work from my heart and integrating components of my life around me, while simultaneously helping people realize their dreams.
ABOUT SARA, THE DESIGNER & MARKETER
People often ask me how I can be both an artist AND do something so left-brained like web design and marketing. I can do both because I absolutely love to push myself creatively AND I am passionate about finding ways to help people pursue their own business visions.
When I first moved to Truckee, I worked as production manager at a sign shop where I was first introduced to computer design. After that, I was introduced to layout, ad design, and marketing concepts while working as an operations and then sales manager at two different newspapers. Later, I taught myself web design while I was working for another company who needed a website. From there, people who knew me started asking if I could help them with their business needs. As I was asked to help with different tasks, I would teach myself how to accomplish these tasks AND how to do make the project even better through the advice of online tutorials and blogs.
Talking about business growth tactics and finding new design ideas are passions of mine that I fuel by subscribing to endless design and marketing blogs, newsletters, and forums. You can expect to find me talking to a new entrepreneur about new marketing ideas while at the pool with my daughter or in line at the grocery store. I am so enthusiastic about helping people go after their business dream that the ideas just bubble out of me. I get excited about people’s goals and even more excited about how I can align their website and marketing collateral to their vision.
Generally, how I work is that I first help clients create a logo and branding. From there, I help them with their messaging and with some basic, print marketing collateral, such as business cards, postcards, brochures and more. Once that is done, we usually start discussing a marketing plan with goals and objectives for the year. From there, we move into creating a website that fulfills the needs of their business for the next year or two. I integrate several search engine optimization and marketing objectives into the website as well as add lead capture systems, eCommerce, registration options, calendars and more. After that foundation is built, I help them develop a diverse web presence, including creating a comprehensive profile on many social networking sites. Then I help my clients with a monthly marketing plan to help them run it all, including creating ads for magazine, posting on their Facebook Fan Page, creating mailers for new products, writing press releases and submitting to newspapers, and much more (see the long list of services I provide).
Throughout the life of the project, I wear many hats including:
- project manager
- marketing consultant and marketing manager
- graphic designer
- html/css programmer
- UI/UX designer
- content editor
- photography and video editor and director
- content writer
- media buyer
- business coach
- and confidant
- (click to view all services)
- B.A. Environmental Studies, University of California, Santa Cruz
- 2012: “Tropical Sierras,” Uncorked at Squaw, Truckee.
- 2012: “Tropical Sierras,” Cottonwood Restaurant, Truckee.
- 2012: “Healing” artworks, Riverside Studios, Truckee.
- 2012: “Woman in Raw,” Uncorked, Truckee.
- 2011: My Collaborative artworks done with Party of 3 members on display at Riverside Studios, Truckee.
- 2010-11: “Fall to Winter” series and open edition prints at Dragonfly Cuisine, Truckee, CA.
- 2010-11: “Woman in Raw” series at Full Circle Movement, Truckee, CA.
- 2010: “Discovery and Awareness” at Riverside Studios, Truckee, CA.
- 2010: “Truckee Exposed” group show at Truckee Recreation Center in Truckee, CA
- 2010: “Truckee Through My Eyes” originals at Elijah Bleu’s Coffeehouse in Truckee, CA.
- 2009-10: “Woman in Raw” series and open edition prints at Dragonfly Cuisine, Truckee, CA.
- 2008: Visiting artist on display at Ethos Gallery in the Village at Northstar, Truckee, CA
- 2008: Riverside Studios- exhibited throughout the year
- 2008: Modern Regional Art group show at Carole Sesko Contemporary Art in Truckee, CA
- 2007: “Collaboration,” by Party of 3 group show, Catherine Bouwer Fine Art Gallery, Reno, NV
- 2007: Solo show at The Lodge in Tahoe Donner in Truckee, CA
- 2007: Truckee-Tahoe Modern Regional Art exhibit at Carole Sesko Contemporary Art, Truckee, CA
- 2007: ARTour Open Studios juried event in the Lake Tahoe Region (juried)
- 2007: Solo show at Alexander’s Main Street Gallery in Pleasanton, CA.
- 2006: “Collaboration,” by Party of 3 group show, Carole Sesko Contemporary Art, Truckee, CA
- 2006: “Abstract and Surrealism” group show at Alexandratos Gallery, Reno, NV
- 2006: Squaw Valley Art, Wine, and Music Festival, Olympic Valley, CA
- 2006: “Reno is Artown” exhibit at Dreamer’s Coffeehouse, Reno, NV
- 2006: Solo show at Cottowood Restaurant in Truckee, CA
- 2006: “Spiritual Exhibition” Group show at North Tahoe Arts, Tahoe City, CA
- 2006: Solo show at Dragonfly Cuisine in Truckee, CA
- 2006: ARTour Open Studios juried event in the Lake Tahoe Region
- 2006: Solo show at the Corison Gallery at the North Tahoe Arts, Tahoe City, CA
- 2005: “Members’ Invitational Group Exhibit” (juried) at North Tahoe Arts, Tahoe City, CA
- 2005: “Autumn’s Bounty” (juried) group show at North Tahoe Arts, Tahoe City, CA
- 2005: ARTour Open Studios juried event in the Lake Tahoe Region (juried)
- 2002: “UCSC Graduate Students’ Exhibit” (juried) at the Santa Cruz Natural History Museum, CA
- 2001: “Plants, Pests & Pollinators” (juried) group exhibit at San Francisco’s Stribing Arboretum, CA
- 1998: “Surf’s Up” (juried) group exhibit at Pajaro Vally Art Museum, Watsonville, CA