A defined scope of work is something that provides a written description every single thing you need for your project, from content and actions required on your website, to the exact content and images to be used on a rack card. It basically spells out every nuance of the project.
Scope of Work for Print Projects
For print projects, a scope of work would include the following:
- What the project is (i.e. postcard, brochure, business card, etc.)
- Single or double-sided
- Will you provide edited text or do you need help with ideas?
- Will you provide copyrighted photos or do you need help with photo selection and photo editing?
- Do you already have branding elements from previous design projects? If so, please provide editable files as .ai, .eps, .psd, or .pdf files.
- Do you already have a logo? If so, please provide it as an .ai, .eps, .psd, or .pdf file.
Scope of Work for Website Design and Development Projects
For web design, a scope of work would include at least the following:
- Coaching/Planning: do you know what you need on your site in order to attract your customers and convert them? Will you want help in your planning stages?
- Sitemap: provide a list of every page you want on your site and what type of elements will be on each page.
- On-site elements and actions: provide a detailed description of actions/elements requested on your site (please include ideas about sidebars, footer, header, contact page, social media integration, lead capture elements, sliders, galleries, portfolio images, blog categories, etc).
- Graphics: exact description of the graphic elements to be used for header, background, buttons, head tags, etc., if they already exist and need adjustments or if they will need to be developed.
- Per page/post content: exact text to be included on each page, including headers, links, and bullet points. Or will you be needing some guidance?
- Images: exact images to be included in the content, for which page, and if they need to be resized, touched up, or needing a css value.
- Hosting: where your site and domain is currently hosted
- Responsive Styling: if you would like to have responsive styling
- Access: how many users will require editor access
- Backups: how often do you want your site to be backed up
- Search Engine Optimization: do you want to integrate SEO?
- Training: how much training do you already have, if training will be needed, if a manual will suffice, or if phone/Skype training will work.
- Budget/Timeline: do you have a large or small budget? Do you have a deadline?
- Limitations: are you able to access your email, can you attach documents, do you have a Dropbox.com account, are you able to dedicate time to creating text and approving elements?
I base project estimates off of the scope of work you provide. The more detailed the scope of work, the more precise your estimate can be. Please email me your exact scope of work either in the body of the email or attach it to your email in a Pages, .txt, .rtf, or Word document.
If you are not sure what you really need for your business, I can help. I regularly assist numerous clients through the planning process in order to craft something that will exactly fit their needs. If you need help, email me.