With the development of content management sites, many of us web designers and developers are now leaving the content up to the client. This can be both good a bad. The right content can have customers making instant sales where the wrong content can not only discourage purchases, but can prevent search engines from organically finding your site. So what’s the key? Below The Social Media Examiner and myself outline 10 major steps to creating effective content for websites and social media platforms, which include:
- Show, don’t just tell
- Stoke the campfire
- Play to your strengths
- Speak human
The other key points that I tell my clients are:
- Instead of using “he”, “she”, “it”, etc., use actual nouns and words that both pertain to your content AND would be keywords people are searching for
- Write relevant content for your blog or website
- Don’t expect people to know what the acronyms or business-specific jargon means- describe what you are saying if you want it to reach a broader audience.
- Always remember to answer the basic who, what, when, why, where and how’s.
- If you want a reader to take action, write out the action you want them to take very clearly with very clear instructions of how to take that action
These are just a few tips to improve your site’s or social media platform’s content to make your readers more interested and willing to take action.